2012 Thought Leadership Archives
- August 1, 2012 | "Effective ICD-10 Preparation" ~from Managed Care Outlook |
- May 2, 2012 | "Delineation of Duties" ~from Compliance Today | By Sharon Blackwood, Senior Consultant, Altegra Health. Not all compliance programs are the same. Sometimes a little creativity and sound structure are required. It's possible for the compliance officer to wear multiple hats or delegate duties and still maintain objectivity.
- March 21, 2012 | "Health Care IT - Convergence or Chaos" ~from Journal of Healthcare Compliance | By Derek Woo, Managing Director, Revenue Cycle and Reimbursement, Sinaiko Healthcare Consulting. A Discussion on the Current Challenges and Future Rewards of HIT in an Evolving Care Setting.
- March 15, 2012 | "Everything That is Old is New Again" ~from Managed Care Outlook | By Curtis H. Bernstein, ASA, CPA/ABV, CVA, MBA, Director of Valuation Services for Sinaiko Healthcare Consulting; and Davina Lane, Executive Consultant. Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) have become the latest concept for aligning providers and insurers to contain costs and improve service accessibility while achieving quality outcomes. Does this idea sound innovative? New organizational configurations and alliances frame this differently, but the underlying principles are based on precepts tested in the last decades.
- February 15, 2012 | "How Internal Controls Support Compliant Business Practices -- Part 2" ~from Compliance Today | By Kelly Nueske, Managing Director, Enterprise Risk Services, Internal Audit & Compliance at Sinaiko Healthcare Consulting, Inc. In Part 2, the author covers monitoring and auditing. Common compliance risk areas that could be monitored are covered, as well as examples of operational monitoring and compliance department monitoring. Both ongoing audits and retrospective audits are address as well as sampling and sampling terminology.
- January 13, 2012 | "Maximizing Star Ratings - Taking Charge of HEDIS and Other Measures" ~from BNA's Medicare Report | By Greg Cohen, Senior Vice President, Quality Performance Division, Altegra Health. The Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS) -- a tool now used by more than 90 percent of America's health plans to measure performance on important dimensions of care and service - has actually been around for 20 years. In this article, the author suggests thinking outside the "data collection" box, building a year-round program, and utilizing direct member outreach to increase compliance and gather critical information.
- December 15, 2011 | "How Internal Controls Support Compliant Business Practices -- Part 1" ~from Compliance Today | By Kelly Nueske, Managing Director, Enterprise Risk Services, Internal Audit & Compliance at Sinaiko Healthcare Consulting, Inc. In Part 1 the author provides an overview of how we progressed to the regulatory environment we operate within today and the fundamentals of internal controls.